Temporary and Permanent Electrical Service

BrightRidge is committed to providing safe, reliable electric service at a reasonable cost. We also understand that meeting your construction needs and scheduling is important. In order to make the process of obtaining service to new construction as trouble-free as possible, we would like to provide the following steps to guide you through the process for obtaining service.

  1. The customer must have their 911 address.
    1. City of Johnson City Building Division (423) 434-6047
    2. Washington County (423) 753-1587
    3. Sullivan County (423) 323-2034
  2. Schedule an appointment.
    Customer needs to schedule an appointment with the Engineering Dept. by calling (423) 952-5034. The Engineering Dept. will provide a work order number for the job and will need a 3-4 day notice for appointment scheduling.
  3. Electrical Permit for inspection will be required.
    1. For Washington and Sullivan County residents, please contact the State Electrical Inspector at (423) 282-6742, between the hours of 7:30 – 9:30 am, Monday through Thursday.
    2. For Johnson City residents, please contact the Johnson City Electrical Inspector at (423) 434-6048.
  4. Inspections and Service Orders required.

    *All construction charges must be paid before a service order can be made.*
    *It is the responsibility of the customer to contact BrightRidge to request service when all of the previous steps are complete.*

    1. Temporary Service
      1. Electrical Inspection
      2. Temporary service order obtained from a Customer Service Advocate at (423) 952-5272, Option 3. (If you plan to use the same temporary for more than one house, BrightRidge requires the temporary to have the address of the LAST house being built. If this is not possible, there will be a temporary service order required for each address.)
    2. Permanent Service
      1. Electrical Inspection
      2. Permanent service order obtained from a Customer Support Advocate at (423) 952-5272, Option 3. Electricians please advise the customer of the need to apply for permanent power. However, the service may be required (by the city) to go into the contractors name first.

*Under no circumstances will power be connected without an inspection or service order.*