Winter Weather Tips
As frigid temperatures and heavy snow move across the area, the Johnson City Power Board (JCPB) would like to encourage JCPB customers to use the following energy saving tips to help reduce unexpected high energy bills.
Suggested energy saving tips:
- Set the heat thermostat as low as comfortably possible as each degree above 68-70° will increase your energy bill 3-5%.
- Turn off nonessential electric appliances such as TV’s, lighting, computers, etc. that are not in use.
- Minimize hot water usage. Additionally, take quick, warm showers.
- If you have a fireplace, keep the damper closed when it is not in use.
- Open the blinds on the sunny side of the house during the day and close them at night.
- Check your doors and windows for air leaks and seal anywhere that air is escaping.
- Visit jcpb.com for additional energy-saving tips and to sign up for SmartHub. SmartHub is a mobile app that allows customers to view their energy usage and/or report power outages.
To learn more, please visit https://www.jcpb.com/components/viewNewsRelease.asp?id=162